Studying Abroad Before College?

Graduating high school and immediately beginning college was once the norm, but for a variety of reasons many students find themselves taking off a semester or entire year before beginning their studies.

Whatever the reason, spending a semester or year at John Cabot University is an excellent way to earn college credits while gaining international experience, learning a new language, and making friends from all over the world.  Although most of our study abroad students are college juniors, we do accept a handful of recent high school graduates each year to join our community as visiting students.

John Cabot University’s version of gap semester/year is an interesting opportunity for the student who wants to explore a new culture without adding an extra year to his or her university timeline.  JCU gap year students are able to study abroad at JCU for an entire year, where they are able to take classes that interest them instead of classes that fulfill requirements, and are ultimately able to apply to earn their degree at John Cabot University or transfer their credits to another four year university.

Interested in spending time in Rome before starting your degree? Contact [email protected] and see below for application instructions!

  1. Submit the Online Application, including the Personal Statement
  2. Pay the $50 Application Fee:  You can pay online by clicking:
    *Please make sure that you are using a PC and Internet Explorer
  3. Send an Official Transcript from your high school. Please mail it to:
    John Cabot University
    14201 58th St. N.
    Clearwater, FL  33760
  4. Send one letter of recommendation
  5. Send standardized test results (ACT or SAT scores)

Student Spotlight